Most of you know that back in September Ian joined a swim club called the Macomb Marlins. It has been amazing to see how far Ian has come in the past 4 months. He has worked very hard to learn all 4 swimming strokes: freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke & butterfly. This past weekend he faced his biggest challenge yet - the Marlin Invitational. The Marlins hosted a total of 10 teams and 567 swimmers at this event. Needless to say, there was a lot of fierce competition (even in the 8 & under category). Between Saturday & Sunday, Ian swam in a total of 8 individual events and 2 relay teams. I am proud to report that he did great! He improved on all of his previous times and he even raced in quite a few events that he had never tried before.
His 1st individual event was the 50 yard freestyle. He came in 11th out of 39 boys with a time of 46.92 seconds. He shaved over 8 seconds off of his last time. Here is a little video of Ian swimming the 50 free. I know it is hard to see but he is in the middle and he gets to the wall first. Please ignore the crazy, screaming parents in the background...we were a little emotional!
His 1st individual event was the 50 yard freestyle. He came in 11th out of 39 boys with a time of 46.92 seconds. He shaved over 8 seconds off of his last time. Here is a little video of Ian swimming the 50 free. I know it is hard to see but he is in the middle and he gets to the wall first. Please ignore the crazy, screaming parents in the background...we were a little emotional!
His next event was the 25yd butterfly. He finished in 12th place out of 34 boys with a time of 26.34 seconds. It totally amazes me to see a bunch of 7 year olds racing across the pool doing this stroke! I think that I would dislocate my shoulder if I tried this stroke. Here is a picture of him doing the fly.
To finish out the day on Saturday he finished 21st out of 43 boys in the 25 yd backstroke and 14th out of 23 boys in the 50 yd breaststoke. Here is a picture of him doing the breaststoke.
On Sunday, he started off the day swimming in the 100 yd freestyle relay. His relay team finished 3rd. Next he swam the 50 yd backstroke, improved his time by over 3 seconds and finished 9th out of 16. He also swam the 25 yd breaststroke (19th out of 28), the 25 yd freestyle (13th out of 28) and finished out the meet with the 50 yd fly (6th out of 8). Overall, it was a great weekend and a great accomplishment!
Here are a few other snapshots from the weekend.
Swimmers...take your mark!
GO!
Ian did an awesome job! We didn't end up taking any pictures of the weekend so if you could forward a few to us, we'd appreciate it.
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome! I literally had tears in my eyes watching that video clip...Loved hearing the "background cheers" and I felt so proud of him! There is a lot of excitement packed into those meets. Let us know the dates of upcoming ones...we'd love to come watch.
ReplyDeleteWow that's awesome!!! I'm so proud of the little guy
ReplyDeleteLove the pics. How is the new camera working out. Can't wait to see what he swims in the years to come. Welcome to blog world, I'll be watching.
ReplyDeleteUmmm, how did I not know you were blogging? Welcome to the fun!!!
ReplyDeleteThe pics are great - and you must be so super proud of that boy! Way to go Ian!!!