Friday, May 15, 2009

House Guest

Just before Easter the kids noticed that we had a new house guest...






A mother mallard made herself at home under the overhang of our fireplace. Everyday the kids checked on her and made sure she was ok. She rarely left the nest and when she did she took careful care to cover up her eggs so that they were protected. We had no idea how many eggs she was sitting on.








This past Tuesday when we went to check on her we noticed a broken and empty shell laying next to her. We figured that one of the chicks had hatched but we couldn't see or hear anything so went went inside to make lunch. About 30 minutes later the kids were looking out the back window and this is what they saw...






There were 10 baby chicks following behind their mommy. They were the cutest things we have ever seen. The mother was probably leading them down to the little retention pond that we have in the back of our sub. They wouldn't let me get too close to them so I couldn't get a close up of the babies but believe me, they were cute!





3 comments:

  1. OK, I am freakishly scared of birds, but even I thought that was cute. As long as they're not at MY house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I didn't know they had hatched. Good job with having the camera ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so cute! how fun to witness (for you and the kids)

    ReplyDelete